Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Alcohol During Pregnancy

One of the things we really wanted to understand were the risks associated with drinking alcohol during pregnancy. While we are not alcoholics, we thoroughly enjoy alcohol. While sitting on the patio in the evening after a long day at work or to cap off a lazy Sunday afternoon, a glass of wine for my wife and a cocktail for me were pretty standard.

While reading Expecting Better: How To Fight The Pregnancy Establishment With Facts (review here) we learned that at some point during the pregnancy a single glass of wine once in a while was probably ok. But for us, we just thought 'Why take the chance?'. So we elected to not drink at all during her pregnancy.

I agreed to not drink as a way to support my wife. Pay attention Dads. I hear from other Baby Forums that some men don't agree to do quit drinking, and some men agree to it and change their minds at some later date. Because not drinking sucks. I get it. But women have every right to be upset by this shoddy behavior. Breaking a promise is breaking a promise. It isn't cool and it isn't fair.

To be honest, while the initial habit of having a drink after work has waned, I still would rather have a drink than not have a drink. But an upcoming baby is more than enough reason to hold off for a few months. A happy wife makes life easier, too.

If anyone ever reads my little blog, I'd be curious to hear what their thoughts are.

No comments:

Post a Comment